'Fatal Attraction' murder: Carolyn Warmus granted parole | News Coverage from USA

‘Fatal Attraction’ murder: Carolyn Warmus granted parole

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Carolyn Warmus, the schoolteacher convicted of the 1989 murder of her lover’s wife in Greenburgh, has been granted parole and will be released from Bedford Hills prison as early as June 10.

The sensational case was chronicled in two television movies and a book and dubbed the “Fatal Attraction” murder after the 1987 movie starring Glenn Close and Michael Douglas.

Warmus, 55, who was sentenced to the maximum, 25 years to life in 1992, has always maintained her innocence in the slaying of Betty Jean Solomon. In recent years she sought new avenues for appeal and the DNA testing of key evidence in the case. Following an interview this week, a three-member panel of the state Parole Board granted her release.

A lawyer for Warmus could not immediately be reached for comment. Reached by phone, The victim’s husband, Paul Solomon, said by phone that he learned Friday morning about the decision. He declined to comment about it.

Warmus, a Michigan native whose father was a millionaire, was 23 in September 1987 when she began teaching computers at Greenville Elementary School in Edgemont. She started an affair with Paul Solomon, a 40-year-old sixth-grade teacher at the school.

On Jan. 15, 1989, Betty Jeanne Solomon was shot nine times in her home in Greenburgh in Westchester County.

Eight months after the killing, Warmus followed Solomon and his new girlfriend to Puerto Rico where they were vacationing. While Solomon was the initial suspect in the case, Warmus was indicted in the killing in February 1990.

Warmus’s first trial in 1991 ended in a hung jury after 12 days of deliberations, with jurors deadlocked 8-4 in favor of conviction. She was found guilty of second-degree murder a year later after a second trial that featured a controversial piece of evidence: a black glove prosecutors linked to Warmus that Solomon found in his house three years after the killing.

Warmus has fought unsuccessfully for authorities to test the glove for DNA, arguing that blood found on it could clear her.

A key witness in the case was private investigator Vincent Parco, who testified he sold Warmus a silencer-equipped .25-caliber Beretta Jetfire pistol for $2,500 just days before the killing. There was also evidence that the bullets that killed Solomon were bought at a New Jersey gun shop the day of the killing, and that Warmus had called the shop the same day.

Parco is currently on trial in Brooklyn, facing criminal charges accusing him of hiring prostitutes to blackmail a witness in a child sex abuse case.

Warmus was denied parole when she first became eligible in January 2017. In that interview she continued to maintain her innocence and blamed the media attention for her conviction in what was a circumstantial case. She detailed her battle with a brain tumor that was diagnosed the previous year.

Her case featured salacious details of the affair with Solomon, including their meeting for drinks and sex the night of the murder, and her years in prison have included more controversy.

She received a $10,000 settlement from New York state a decade ago after filing a federal lawsuit alleging that she had been raped by prison guards and forced to trade sexual favors for basic privileges.

Follow Matt Spillane on Twitter: @MattSpillane


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *