Las Vegas police issue warrant for Ronaldo's DNA in rape investigation | News Coverage from USA

Las Vegas police issue warrant for Ronaldo’s DNA in rape investigation

Investigators have secured a warrant for soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo’s DNA as part of a sexual assault case that was reopened by Las Vegas authorities last year, police confirmed on Thursday. 

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports that the agency is “taking the same steps in this case as in any other sexual assault to facilitate the collection of DNA evidence.” 

Las Vegas police said “an official request has been submitted to Italian authorities.” Ronaldo plays for the Italian club Juventus.

“Due to this being an ongoing investigation, we have no additional information or comment on this case at this time,” the statement read. 

An attorney for Ronaldo confirmed Thursday a warrant had been sought after a report in The Wall Street Journal. 

Kathryn Mayorga alleged in a lawsuit filed in September that Ronaldo sexually assaulted her inside a Las Vegas hotel room in June 2009 and his handlers obstructed a criminal investigation. Days after the lawsuit became public, a spokesperson for the Las Vegas Metropolitan police told USA TODAY Sports that it had relaunched an investigation into Mayorga’s allegations. 

Peter S. Christiansen, a lawyer for Ronaldo, released this statement to USA TODAY Sports:

“Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in Las Vegas in 2009 was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising that DNA would be present, nor that the police would make this very standard request as part of their investigation.”

The Las Vegas Metropolitan police did not immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment on the report a warrant had been issued.

More: Chelsea sign Christian Pulisic from Borussia Dortmund; US star loaned back to German club

Mayorga alleged in the lawsuit filed in Clark County District Court that she was at a party at Ronaldo’s room at the Palms Hotel and Casino when Ronaldo entered the bathroom and pulled her into the bedroom, where the alleged sexual assault took place. 

“Cristiano Ronaldo turned plaintiff onto her side and while screaming ‘no, no, no’” the civil suit alleges.

Las Vegas Metropolitan police spokesperson Aden Ocampo said in October that the agency still has the rape kit from the examination from the initial investigation in 2009 and DNA can still be extracted from the kit. The kit was not processed at the time because Mayorga did not seek charges. 

Mayorga said in the lawsuit that she reported the alleged incident to Las Vegas police later that day, but ultimately decided not to name the suspect or pursue charges. Mayorga’s lawyer, Leslie Mark Stovall, said in a statement in October that Ronaldo’s “fixers” negotiated a $375,000 settlement that included a non-disclosure agreement. 

A message left with a lawyer for Mayorga by USA TODAY Sports was not returned. 

Follow Perez on Twitter @byajperez

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *